Madonna University is proud of its long-standing commitment to quality liberal arts education and public service. Founded by the Felician sisters of Livonia as Presentation Junior College in 1937, in 1947 it was renamed Madonna College and incorporated as a baccalaureate institution. Celebrating nearly 82 years of academic excellence, Madonna University maintains its tradition as an independent Catholic Franciscan University. A pioneer in opening its doors to both older and younger adults with divers economic, religious, social, and cultural backgrounds, the University remains committed to its belief in the spiritual, educational and service oriented mission: Education for truth, goodness, and service.
VISION FOR THE NEW CENTURY
Madonna University is an independent Catholic, Franciscan institution of higher learning committed to teaching, scholarship, and service. The university’s educational philosophy is founded on the Franciscan sprit, which encounters god in the whole of creation, manifested by persons, events, and natural things.
The mission of Madonna University, a catholic and Franciscan institution of higher learning, is to instill in its students Christian humanistic values, intellectual inquiry, a respect for diversity, and a commitment to serving others through a liberal arts education, integrated with career preparation, and based on the truths and principles recognized within the Catholic tradition.
Madonna University receives its institutional accreditation through the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). The HLC accredits degree-granting post-secondary educational institutions in the North Central region of the United States and thereby grants membership in the Commission.
- Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP)
- Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- American Dietetic Association (ADA)
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
- Council on Social Work Education
- Forensic Sciences Education Programs Accreditation Commission (FEPAC)
- Michigan Board of Education
- Michigan Board of Nursing
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education
Note: Accreditation materials are available for review in the Madonna University and London American City College’s Library.